Friday, March 23, 2012

A few words from a great fan...

The other weekend, I was having a discussion about baseball with my father.  Fortunately, this is something that occurs pretty often.  So, I thought it would be nice to post a few of his words about how he came to love the sport of baseball...


     "I came to love the game of baseball at a very early age.  My father and a neighborhood father coached a minor league team ages 9 and 10.  I was too young to play (8) so I was the bat boy.  The team did very well going all the way to the district championship game which we lost.  I was devastated and I remember crying my eyes out.  I also remember one of the boys said that the other team deserved to win more than we did to which I vehemently disagreed.  

     That same year, towards the end of the season my Dad snuck me into the lineup and I got to pitch to a couple of batters.  I had a natural curve ball that nobody could hit.  I was hooked.  I knew I would always be a pitcher and continued playing through high school aspiring to attend Santa Clara University to play baseball.  Life (girls and partying) got in the way as I went to one practice in September in the fog at USF and immediately decided that the commitment I would have to make was too much.  No regrets.

     When you boys played (my brother and I) my love was renewed as I got the same feelings just watching you guys as I did playing. 

     And then of course our beloved Giants won it all in 2010.  It seemed as if my whole baseball experience, both playing and watching, was complete."

I am so glad that I can share my love of baseball with my father.  It is something we have always had in common, and at times maybe the only thing.  This, for me, is a true testimonial to the love of baseball.

2 comments:

  1. Good to share memories about the sport that you love with the a person you love!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I may not know the felling of pitching a great throw but I do know how good it felt making a basket from the 3 point line and finally nailing that left hand lay up. Basketball is more of a memory I share with my friend so I can understand how a sport can make you bond with a person.

    ReplyDelete