Monday, April 2, 2012

Cain signed through 2017

     The Giants have drawn up a $127 million contract for right hander Matt Cain that will keep him on the team till 2017.  This contract has made Cain the highest-paid right-handed pitcher in baseball.

     This will assure that the Giants will maintain a key part of our fierce pitching staff for the next few years.  As many fans know,  our pitching has been the key to Giants wins the last few seasons.  In fact it is the only thing that has been keeping them alive!  There are a few that think the contract is a bad idea.  Such as this article by Ryan Bothmann from bleacherreport.com.  But I'm not sure that I agree with what he says.  There is more to it than just taking the huge financial risk.  Teams like the familiarity of faces around the club house.  There is a camaraderie that is built between players.  One aspect of a pitchers success is his confidence in a catcher.  Lincecum had a problem with Posey when he was first brought up, his numbers fell drastically in August; something that he said was his unfamiliarity of Posey.  Soon, Lincecum would come to have confidence in Posey, and in himself.  As a fan, we like to see those familiar faces too.  Matt Cain is a pillar in the Giants foundation.

     Although the contract is for a few more years than one might like, and for a few more millions than we can really afford, in my opinion, keeping Cain on the pitching staff is a vital move for the Giants.  He has done nothing but right by us, and he is a hard working right-hander that is moving well into veteran status.  Matt Cain will be a pitcher that others will look up to and look to for advice.  Cain is already proving that he has worked hard in the off season, he is throwing hard and well.

So, I say good for us!  We need to keep control of our strengths, and right now pitching is our strength, and continue to work on our weaknesses -- our hitting.  I think this is a great move by the Giants organization.  Cain is a face and name that all Giants fans know, and love.  He is a positive presence around the club house and in the bull pen.  I am looking forward to the many years that we will get to watch him throw pitches with a Giants jersey on.

1 comment:

  1. Ryan mentions about the highest paid pitcher shouldn't have a ERA of 3.5. i do not know what he means.
    I thought stats played a key role in baseball and I want to know what your perspective is on Cains stats.

    ReplyDelete