So, for those of you who don't know, AT&T Park has a few more rules than your typical ball park. Some of which I can understand, some of which are just a little ridiculous. I came across this "Park Etiquette" list on SFist.com.
Now, some of these "rules" I can understand. Don't scream profanities in front of kids; check. Smoke your weed outside of the stadium; sound advise that many people need to take into consideration. But no WAVE! That is just unacceptable, the wave was my favorite part of the game when I was a kid. You are waiting in anticipation, hoping that your timing is just right -- then -- you nail it, and you are part of something that each and every fan of baseball experiences.
Now I know this is San Francisco, and you can find Sushi at AT&T Park just as easily as you can find a hot dog, but there comes a point when too many rules can take away the enthusiasm of the fans. I truly believe that it is every fans right to have a good time in at the game and to do so in a safe environment. The violence between fans that sometimes comes with a baseball game is purely unacceptable. I think that there could be more strict rules about the distribution of alcohol. If someone appears to have had enough to drink, don't serve them anymore, or hire a few more security guards to monitor the hallways. But there is a fine line between monitoring and keeping the peace, and telling the crowd just exactly how they should behave while at the game.
I understand that there are many adults out there that just can't seem to pull it together and act like adults, there will always be a few bad apples. But in the end, people need to be reminded that this is just a game, it is just a game! And though I love to see my team win, my life still goes on either way. I think this article could really be summed up in a few sentences; Don't be an asshole, come on down to the game, have fun with the rest of us, and if you can't handle that, just stay home!!
Rules can be good, they are there for a reason, but let's not get too carried away. I would hate to lose some of the wonderful traditions that come with watching a live baseball game. And one of those is cheering loud and clear, and often. So let's keep the golf claps, for well, golf, and let us keep our wave!
Here is the article for those who wish to read. Baseball is about being outside with friends and family in an open friendly environment. Be kind to other fans. But be careful what you ask for, pretty soon we will be having a mandatory 7th inning yoga stretch, instead of just trying to get one more beer before last call.
http://sfist.com/2012/04/23/att_etiquette_for_new_giants_fans.php
I'm offended to learn the wave is a no-no at at&t park. I feel the same way about the wave in my childhood with the Dodgers. SF does seem to have a more passive attitude towards the game. I wore a Dodger blue jacket and a hat for their April, 2011 run up here, and was surprised to find that most people didn't say anything. It seems as though they have a decent lid on things up here by comparison to the zoo in LA.
ReplyDelete